The ability to slice and shred a range of vegetables into ribbons is possible with a peeler, but it is much easier with the new spiralizer kitchen gadget. Originating in Japan, this gadget is starting to become really popular, creating healthy curls of vegetable and fruit noodles for quick, satisfying healthy meals. You can use Zucchini, cucumbers, potatoes, apples and pears for example.
One of the highest rated spiralizers is from Paderno World Cuisine. The older model with three blades works better – you can buy it from Amazon and it qualifies for Prime shipping. The slicer is an easy-to-use, handy tool that makes zucchini spaghetti, cucumber ribbon strands, curly fries or long, spiral apple strands.
Ali also makes her own Inspiralizer that she added extra features to from her kitchen experiences that include a knob to change the blades, a smaller center coring blade and extra suction for holding the machine to the counter.
Try this awesome Chicken and Zucchini Recipe – easy to make, great to eat.
Basil Pomodoro Zucchini Pasta
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound boneless chicken breasts, roughly cubed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup diced white onions
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes (or crushed tomatoes) with juices
- 1-1.5 tablespoon chopped basil
- 2 medium zucchinis, Blade C, noodles trimmed
- Place a pot/saucepan over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Once the oil heats, add in the chicken. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook for 3 minutes and then flip over, cooking another 3-5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink on the inside.
- Then, add in the garlic and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until onions start to soften and become translucent. Then, add in the canned tomatoes and roughly crush the tomatoes with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer. Season with salt and pepper and let cook for 5 minutes, add in the basil and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and it is thicker, suitable for cooking with zucchini noodles. Add in the zucchini noodles and toss for 2-3 minutes or until noodles are al dente.
- Divide into bowls.
Blue Trellis Melamine Dinnerware –
Like the plates? You can buy them at Pier One Imports -the Blue Trellis did sell out but many new patterns available.