Alcohol infused perfection in a mini-Cupcake
The founders of New York’s original alcohol cupcake company are Leslie Feinberg, a former bartender, and Brooke Siem, a chef. They came up with idea for boozy cupcakes for a friend’s bachelorette party and Cosmo cupcakes were born. Today there are 15 flavors on rotation based on seasonal ingredients, though a few varieties are always “on tap” for orders, including the White Russian, Margarita, Old Fashioned, and Dark & Stormy. Prohibition Bakery bakes between 3,000 and 4,000 cupcakes a week.
Unlike other cupcakes where the alcohol burns off during baking, Prohibition Bakery’s cupcakes are done differently. Their customized booze concoction for each cupcake is injected after baking. ( see the video above). Catering makes up 80% of the bakery’s business, however the NYC based bakery retail shop serves fresh cupcakes on Clinton Street (off Houston)
The Pretzel and Beer, made with Brooklyn’s Six Point Sweet Action ale, was salty, sweet, and surprising. Break open an Old-Fashioned cupcake, and you see the magical boozy core in the color variation of whiskey. Shipping costs make it expensive ($52 shipping + $40 for 24 cupcakes) but so worth it – and then maybe just take a trip to NYC and try out an Old Fashion after some shopping and theater action.
More cupcake magic awesomeness for grown-ups
You can make your own following the exclusive recipe below for a
Dark and Stormy batch. see below: Yields 48 mini cupcakes
½ cup butter
2 cups confectioners sugar
¼ cup Gosling’s dark rum
½ c ginger beer
½ c butter, unsalted
1/3 cup sour cream or full fat plain yogurt
¾ cup flour
4/5 cup sugar
7 tpsp minced ginger
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 325F degrees
2. In an electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream
3. In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
4. Combine ginger beer and butter in a small saucepan and heat until butter melts.
5. While mixer is running, slowly pour in ginger beer/butter mixture.
6. Slowly add dry goods to wet and beat until incorporated.
7. Add minced ginger
8. Fill lined cupcake tins 2/3 with batter. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool on a cooling rack
1. In an electric mixer, beat butter with paddle until fluffy.
2. On low speed, add the powdered sugar.
3. Slowly stream in Gosling’s Dark Rum and beat until smooth.
1. When cupcakes are cool, frost to your liking. Garnish with lime zest.